Saturday, November 5, 2011

Pumpkin cinnamon rolls

I follow Once a Month Mom and when they came out with their gluten and dairy free menu I was thrilled to see gluten and dairy free pumpkin cinnamon rolls. I had everything I needed on hand and so I set out to make a treat that I had not had in a long time. You can view the original recipe here but I did make a few changes from it. This is the way I did mine.

Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls

  • 1/3 cup warmed unsweetened gluten and dairy free milk substitute (I used Flax milk)
  • 4 1/2 teaspoons dry active yeast
  • 3/4 cup sugar
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon gluten free vanilla extract
  • 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
  • 1/4 cup brown rice flour, finely ground
  • 1/2 cup sorghum flour
  • 3/4 cup tapioca starch
  • 1/2 cup corn starch
  • 2 teaspoons gluten free baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoons xanthan gum
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 5 tablespoons gluten and dairy free margarine (I used Best Life)
  • 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
  • 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Icing:
  • 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
  • 4 tablespoons gluten and dairy free margarine (Again I used Best Life)
  • 5 cups gluten free powdered sugar
  • 1/4 tsp pumpkin spice
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Put yeast in warm milk substitute and sugar.  Set aside until foamy.  Stir in olive oil, vanilla extract and first amount of pumpkin puree.
In bowl of your mixer, mix together brown rice flour, sorghum flour, tapioca flour, corn starch, baking powder, xanthan gum, baking soda, and salt. Gradually combine yeast mixture into dry ingredients until a very sticky elastic dough is formed, scraping down sides as necessary.
Turn dough ball out onto a piece of lightly oiled plastic wrap that has been taped to your countertop. With well oiled hands pat dough out into a rectangle.

Use the oiled plastic wrap to help roll the dough.
Mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.  Gently spread the first amount of softened margarine in an even layer on top of dough, and then sprinkle with cinnamon and brown sugar mixture.
Using the plastic wrap to help, carefully roll the dough.  Slice the rolls and carefully place them into the 8″” greased round pan(s) indicated, leaving about an inch between each roll.  Cover loosely with lightly oiled plastic wrap and let rest in a warm place for about 45 min.

I use a thin wire that I cut cake with to cut cinnamon rolls.
To make pumpkin icing, cream together the pumpkin puree and second measurement of margarine.  Slowly incorporate powdered sugar until icing becomes stiff and spreadable, using more or less depending on your preference.
When rolls have risen, bake for 30 minutes in a preheated 350 F degree oven.  Cool.  Frost with icing. 
I use less sugar than the original recipe but I like the more pumpkin taste that it gave.

They were so yummy and smelled so good we at them all before I got a picture. I was so surprised at how easy they were to make and next time I will make a double or triple batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment