Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Slow cooker tomato sauce

So I decided I should do something with the baby bath tub half full of ripe tomatoes and I did not treasure the thought of having a pot going all day. Thus the idea of the slow cooker came into play. I washed, cut and seeded (well my mom did, my hand can't do that) about 2 to 3 dozen tomatoes of all shapes and sizes and put them in my large slow cooker. To them I added around a 1/4 cup olive oil and 6 to 8 cloves of garlic cut in half. A pinch of sugar, salt and pepper and it was in for the night on low covered in the slow cooker. The next morning I cracked the lid and turned it to high for a few hours. The cooked tomatoes and juice then went through the blender and had a good 1/2 cup of basil added. If you don't want the skins in you could run it through a food mill. Serve over you favorite gluten free pasta or freeze for later.

Mine is light because I used red, yellow, purple and black tomatoes in my mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment